Ready to eat meals, or MRE’s for short, have always been popular. However, you should read this guide because it will explain what they are and what the benefits of MRE’s, as well as the cons and a bunch of other useful information. By the end of this article, you can decide whether or not you should stock up on them.
What Are Ready To Eat Meals
Read to eat meals are meals that come in self-contained units. One self-contain unit contains a meal that provides a person with many calories, typically 1,200 to 2,000, which is the amount most people consume regularly or is the average among of calories people should be consuming daily. Basically, one meal provides a person with their entire day’s worth of calories.
However, MRE’s were originally created for the military and today they are still only available to the military. These are known as military grade MRE products. There are civilian MRE products, but these are made and sold by companies that market them to regular consumers. Bear in mind that civilian MRE’s are not the same as military grade, but the concept is still the same.
In short, MRE’s are high in calories. Each unit contains one meal. As for the type of food found in these meals. this depends because different manufacturers include different kinds of foods.
Where To Buy MRE’s
MRE’s designed for the military cannot be purchased by the general public. As for civilian versions, there are many places you can buy them at. Some regular retailers may sell ready to eat meals, but they are typically hard to find in regular retail stores or shopping malls.
There are marketplaces such as Amazon which are good places to find MRE’s. There are also websites that solely sell MRE’s to the public, and then there are websites that sell various types of products, including ready to eat meals.
The bottom line is finding them is not that hard to do. When you find MRE’s that you want to buy, you simply add them to your virtual shopping cart and place your order. When they arrive, you can start eating them or you can store them for when you need them.
Who Should Buy MRE’s
The truth is just about anybody can benefit from having a few MRE’s on hand. This includes those who do a lot of hiking or cycling, or those who enjoy camping for long periods of time. Those who want to have access to food in the event of an emergency should own a few MRE’s, as well as those who just want to be safe.
Remember, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. You never know when you might find yourself in an emergency that might mean you don’t have access to food. If you have MRE’s on hand, then you’ll be glad you’ve purchased them.
Types Of Meals
There are dozens and dozens of meals that come in MRE packages. Generally speaking, most packages will contain a main food, a side and a dessert. No matter which type of meal you get, you can rest assure that it will be packed with calories, likely around 1,200 or 2,000 calories. Just remember, different MRE packages contain different types of food, so make sure you compare a few products before settling on one.
The Benefits Of MRE’s
Now for the benefits and advantages of MRE products. Although there are many good things that can be said about these meals, we’ll discuss the top benefits. With that said, the top benefits of MRE’s include:
1. Options – The best thing about MRE’s is the options they are available in. It doesn’t matter who you are or how picky you are, you should find an MRE you will love or at least can easily tolerate. Many MRE’s feature a main dish and a side dish.
Also included may be a beverage and a dessert, as well as a few energy bars. Some even come with pepper, salt and instant coffee. These are only a few of the many examples of the items found in MRE’s. No two MRE’s are alike, so finding one you like should be easy.
2. Good For Various Situations – MRE’s are good for just about any and all situations, such as emergency scenarios. They come in handy for regular situations too, such as when you go camping. If you don’t want to pack a bunch of food items to bring with you on your camping trip, then bring a few MRE’s and you’re good to go.
3. Heating – Most MRE products come with a heating device or some sort of heating mechanism, which allows you to enjoy a hot meal. You don’t need a stove, a grill or anything like that. Everyone comes in the package, and all you have to do is follow the instructions. If you find yourself with no access to electricity, then there is no need to worry when you have an MRE on hand.
4. Easy To Prepare – Sure, there may be hundreds and hundreds of MRE products out there, and they are very different from one another, but they do all have one thing in common. It doesn’t matter which MRE you buy, the chances are it will be extremely easy to prepare. Generally speaking, it shouldn’t take you long to prepare an MRE, as long as you follow the instructions provided with them. If you’re looking for a fast meal, and you want to receive your daily calories in one sitting, then consider buying a few meal ready to eat products.
5. The Taste – Gone are the days of bad tasting food, although a lot of people aren’t overly keen on the taste. What you want to do is decide what kind of food you eat regularly, and what foods you tend to enjoy the taste of. This is because the chances are there are MRE’s that contain those foods.
6. Types Of Food – Some MRE’s feature chicken, veggies, sometimes fruit and water to name a few. In the past, MRE’s only contained a few selection of foods, but these days you can find so many different ones out there. As previously mentioned, just make sure you find and choose MRE’s that contain the type of foods you normally eat.
If that isn’t possible, then research various MRE’s. Compare the foods inside them. After you do this, you can decide which MRE to get.
7. Long Life – Most MRE products have a very long shelf life, but there are some that don’t, which you want to stay away from. When you choose an MRE with a very long shelf life, then you don’t have to worry about them expiring, which means you get peace of mind knowing that if you need them, they will still be good. The last thing you want is to eat an MRE product that is expired, because the chances are you could become sick, and expired food does not taste good at all.
8. Survival Mode – Another benefit of MRE’s is they come in handy when you find yourself in survival, they will provide you with the calories, fats, carbs and nutrients you need to survive. You never know when you’ll be in a position that requires you to go into survival mode, but if that time does come, then an MRE will provide your body with what you need.
An example of going into survival mode is if you are on a hike and you become lost. If you find yourself not knowing where to go and you have to camp out, then you’ll definitely need to eat. Remember, one day can easily turn into two days and then a week and so forth, depending on where you are hiking. If this happens to you, you’ll need food to survive, which means all you’d have to do is take out your MRE and prepare it and then eat it.
9. Energy – When you don’t eat enough food, then you’ll lack energy, and if you find yourself in a situation where you’ll be without food or access to food for a few days, then you’ll be depleted of energy, which will only make things far worse. MRE’s might not be the healthiest things to eat, but they will provide your body with energy. Just make sure you choose an MRE that contains a good amount of nutrients and vitamins.
Do you want to reap the benefits of MRE’s? Do you want to be prepared in the event of an emergency or do you plan on taking a long road trip somewhere? If you’ve answered yes to any of those, then you’ll want to stock up on some MRE products.
Also, we do want to point out that they are easily portable. You can easily bring MRE products with you. If you want to bring products with you wherever you go, then purchase a few MRE products and keep them with you.
MRE’s: The Cons
There are a few cons of MRE’s. However, there are many more good things than bad. That being said, some of the cons are:
1. Weight – Not everyone will be pleased with how much MRE’s weigh. One meal in a container doesn’t weigh a lot, but if you buy them in bulk, then they can be very heavy. If you plan on bringing a few MRE’s wherever you go, then be prepared to handle quite a bit of weight because they do weigh a bit. Not everyone will think they are heavy, but you might think they are.
Bear in mind that different MRE products weigh differently. There is no standard weight they come in. Some weigh far less than others, which means you likely won’t think they are heavy. If weight is a concern, then choose MRE’s that don’t weigh too much.
2. Packed With Calories – They are packed with high calories, so they really aren’t recommended to eat on a daily basis. Remember, MRE products are designed to eat in an emergency or when you need to meet your daily calorie requirement fast due to being hungry and not having access to other types of food. As long as you’re not looking for something to eat every single day, on top of whatever else you’re eating throughout the day, then this shouldn’t be an issue.
These meals might not taste that good. A lot of people complain about the taste, but there are no shortage of people who love the way they taste. Once again, this is all about personal opinions. You might have no issues with the way MRE’s taste.
3. Civilian Quality – As previously mentioned, MRE’s are designed for the military, which means whatever product you buy will only be civilian grade. Civilian grade MRE products were designed with the same concept as the military grade products, but they still aren’t as good. As long as you know the MRE’s available to civilians are nowhere near as good as military grade products, then you won’t be disappointed.
4. Price – It doesn’t really matter where you buy MRE’s from, you can bet they will be a bit on the expensive side, but this is a matter of personal opinion. You might actually be pleased with the price, but some people might think they cost way to much. It is important to note that MRE’s are valuable, so they tend to be worth the money.
Those are the top four cons. As you can see, most of those cons are really an opinion, so they might not even be an issue for you. However, you do want to take your time when buying MRE products because there are so many options out there. You want to make sure you get the best MRE’s that money can buy.
Scenarios You’d Be Glad You Have Them
There are a number of situations that you’d be glad you have meals for, such as being stuck inside your home or somewhere else due to severe flooding. If you find yourself stranded or trapped due to a flood, then you’ll need to eat, especially if you’re not going to be rescued for awhile. With MRE products, you can rest assure you’ll receive the food you need to survive.
The same goes for tornadoes or severe hurricane weather. You’ll have easy access to food. Best of all, you don’t need access to electricity to prepare and eat the food.
Let’s say you’re hiking through a dense area or deep in the mountains, there’s always a chance you could experience an emergency. If you do, then you’ll have access to food. You might find yourself extremely hungry after becoming lost, and if you do, then simply prepare your MRE and you’re good to go.
Maybe you’re on a long road trip and your car breaks down. It might be a day or two before someone finds you or you may have an extremely long walk to the nearest gas station. Whatever the case is, you’ll have your MRE handy, so you won’t go hungry.
Those are only a few situations that you’d be happy to have MRE’s. There are so many other examples we could have provided. The bottom line is an emergency can happen at anytime, and when they do, you’ll be glad to have an MRE within reach.
How Much Do MRE’s Cost
What you’ll pay for MRE products depends on many factors, with one being the seller. Different online stores sell MRE products at different prices. This is why you want to check out a few places before buying anything.
Another factor is whether or not you buy MRE’s on sale. You’d be surprised at how many places have deals going on. If you can find products on sale or receive discounts on specific products, you could end up saving a lot.
The types of meals also play a role. Not only that, but shipping and handling might come into play. Generally speaking, MRE’s are affordable and there is something for everyone when it comes to budget size.
Tips For Choosing MRE Products
You don’t want to purchase the first MRE you come across. You want to take your time when choosing. With that said, you want to keep these tips and advice in mind:
1. Research Brands – One thing you want to do is research brands and manufacturers, because you only want to purchase MRE’s that are produced and marketed by a legit brand and a reputable brand or store. When you find a place that sells civilian MRE products, check out their selection and then do further research on the brands. If possible, check out a few reviews, but don’t take reviews as the holy grail. Reviews can be used to get a general idea of an MRE brand, but don’t base your decision to buy solely on what you read in reviews.
2. Storage – Not all MRE’s are stored in the same manner, so when buying one you’ll want to know how to store it. If you can’t find this info in the MRE’s description, then make sure you ask the seller how to store it. Generally speaking, it should be clear from the instructions in the description or on the box how to store. You want to choose an MRE that can easily be stored, but choose one that doesn’t require to be stored in a cooler, fridge or anything of that nature.
3. Expiration Date – MRE products are supposed to have some serious longevity. If they were only to last a year or two, then they’d be worthless. This means you want to check the expiration date of the MRE products you’re thinking of buying, and the expiration date shouldn’t be for a very longtime. If the expiration date is within the next few years, then don’t buy them because you don’t want to waste your money.
4. Buy In Bulk – Another thing you should do is buy MREs in bulk because the more you have, the better. Plus, buying in bulk is usually a good way to save money. On that note, it’s a good idea to buy various packages with different foods, that way you have a variety of choice.
5. Compare Prices – You’ll want to compare the prices of as many MRE’s as you can because not all of them are sold within the same price range. The more products you compare, the more of a chance you have of finding MRE’s at a price you can afford. Generally speaking, they are affordable and they are worth the price, even if they are expensive. This is because they are extremely valuable, especially in the event you find yourself facing an emergency that requires you to have access to food.
6. Learn About The Seller – Finally, learn about the seller, even if they look 100% legit because the last thing you want is to be ripped off. All it takes is a few minutes of research to find out whether or not a seller is legit. If everything checks out, then go right ahead and order a few MRE products.
7. Bonus Tip – Have a look at the shipping and handling information. Many companies include shipping and handling when you order a specific amount of MRE’s, but not all of them do. If you can’t find info about shipping and handling, then ask the seller directly and see what they say. You don’t want to pay high rates for shipping.
Buying MRE products is easy. Choosing which ones to buy and eat is a bit harder. However, you can make things a lot easier on yourself by keeping the above tips and advice in mind.
As you can see from the above guide, there are many benefits of ready to eat meals. Just make sure you don’t buy the first MRE product you come across. The tips and advice previously discussed can help you find a good place to buy them from. All you have to do now is shop around for MRE’s and choose the ones you like the most.